2022 GMC Sierra: Engines & Enhanced Super Cruise Technology
The 2022 Sierra includes an enhanced 2.7L Turbo High-Output engine. Highlights include:
- Torque estimated at 420 lb-ft (569 Nm) — a more than 20 percent increase over the current engine
- A new, more rigid cylinder block casting is complemented with a 30 percent-stiffer crankshaft, which enabled engineers to enhance smoothness, reduce noise and tune the engine for greater torque production, particularly in the usable low-mid rpm range
- Higher maximum trailering ratings of 9,600 pounds with 2WD models and 9,300 pounds with 4WD models are achieved with the new 2.7L Turbo
- Shift scheduling revisions with the 2.7L Turbo’s eight-speed automatic transmission enhance refinement and deliver quicker downshifts, for a greater feeling of power on demand.
Additional Sierra propulsion lineup updates include improvements with the 3.0L Duramax Turbo-Diesel, along with chassis changes that now allow inclusion of the max tow package, so the 3.0L Duramax, with 277 class-leading diesel horsepower and 460 lb-ft of torque, now has a max tow rating of 13,200 pounds (Double Cab 2WD with 20-inch wheels and Max Trailering Package) — a 4,000-pound improvement over the 2021 Sierra. The Sierra also offers best-in-class light-duty diesel 4WD towing4, at 13,000 pounds.
Also available are the proven 5.3L V-8 with Dynamic Fuel Management and the 6.2L V-8 with Dynamic Fuel Management. All V-8 engines and the 3.0L Duramax are matched with a 10-speed automatic transmission.
Enhanced Super Cruise Hands-Free Driver-Assistance Technology
Super Cruise is standard on the Sierra Denali Ultimate and is the industry’s first true hands-free driver-assistance technology for compatible roads.
Trailering-capable Super Cruise adds to Sierra’s class-leading roster of trailering assistance technologies, which also include up to 14 available camera views. The new GCW Alert will signal when the maximum weight the Sierra can safely carry is exceeded and signal when the vehicle may be overloaded.
Other safety features include:
- Transparent Trailer
- GCW Alert
- In-vehicle trailering app
- Trailer Side Blind Zone Alert
- Adaptive Cruise Control
- Forward Collision Alert
- Automatic Emergency Braking
- Front Pedestrian Braking
- Lane Change Alert with Blind Zone Alert
- Following Distance Indicator
- IntelliBeam automatic high beams